There are currently no auditions scheduled at this time. Please sign up for our audition alert emails to be notified about the next opportunity.
When submitting a video audition, please follow these guidelines carefully:
1. Film yourself standing, with your scene partner(s) off camera. If the scene calls for you to be sitting, make sure we can see more than just your face.
2. Load your video to YouTube or Vimeo, and send us the link. We will not accept emailed video files.
3. On YouTube, please make your video setting PUBLIC or UNLISTED. Do not make videos PRIVATE, as we need to share your audition with the director and artistic directors via email, and PRIVATE videos are not shareable links.
4. On Vimeo, please set your viewing settings to ANYONE or ONLY PEOPLE WITH A PASSWORD, and supply us your password.
5. Send your video link to i with your headshot and resume, and please let us know your union status and if you'll need local housing in Sarasota. Please write "Audition Video - SHOW TITLE" in the subject field.
The fundamental identity of Urbanite Theatre has always been prioritizing people over production. We're interested in relentlessly talented professional artists, and we have exceptionally high standards for our actors.
At the audition, we expect you to be intimately familiar with the play and very comfortable with the audition sides, enough to act with presence, action, and sensitivity. We also expect that you'll be prepared, which includes arriving early, having several printed copies of your up-to-date, professional headshot and resume, and having your own copies of the audition sides (your phone doesn't count). Please also remember that your audition starts with your submission email. Make sure your email is clear and polite.
With that said, please know that we create a very relaxed audition atmosphere, and we want you to be perfect for the role as badly as you do. We will always cast actors who demonstrate honesty, subtlety, listening, and most importantly, the ability to take direction. Break a leg!
Urbanite Theatre strives to create an inclusive artistic home by casting as broadly and diversely as possible. We gladly embrace actors of all physical abilities, and we will make reasonable accommodations in order to cast performers, regardless of disability, in any role. We also acknowledge that many roles we list fall on the gender binary, but invite transgender, gender non-comforming, non-binary performers to read for the roles, cisgender or otherwise, they most identify with. Unless the required race or ethnicity of a role is intrinsically tied to the dramatic action or plot, we will cast any race or ethnicity in all roles. We believe the theater should always be a refuge from harassment and oppression, and we continue to work to make opportunity more accessible. If you feel there may be something more we can do to pursue that goal, or if there are any accommodations we can provide, please contact us at and write "Casting" in the subject field.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Do you have housing for out-of-town actors?
Yes, we are able to house some out of town actors within walking distance to the theater. Transportation to and from Sarasota will be provided. Actors are not provided a car at this time.
When do you rehearse?
We typically rehearse 30 hours per week for three weeks, and no less. Specific hours vary, depending on the artistic team. We can work around actor’s schedules in some situations, but conflicts during established rehearsal hours will not be accepted. Rehearsals are typically 4-5 hours, Tuesday-Sunday.
Do you hire Non-Equity actors?
Yes. We do not have an official union affiliation, but we hire both Non-Equity and Equity actors (Guest Artist, Level II).
How do I hear about auditions or video submission deadlines?