The fundamental identity of Urbanite Theatre has always been prioritizing people over production. We're interested in relentlessly talented professional artists, and we have exceptionally high standards for our actors.
At the audition, we expect you to be intimately familiar with the play and very comfortable with the audition sides, enough to act with presence, action, and sensitivity. We also expect that you'll be prepared, which includes arriving early, having several printed copies of your up-to-date, professional headshot and resume, and having your own copies of the audition sides (your phone doesn't count). Please also remember that your audition starts with your submission email. Make sure your email is clear, polite, and refined. You can't win a role before the audition, but you can certainly lose one.
With that said, please know that we create a very relaxed audition atmosphere, and we want you to be perfect for the role as badly as you do. We will always cast actors who demonstrate honesty, subtlety, listening, and most importantly, the ability to take direction. Break a leg!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Do you have housing for out-of-town actors?
Yes, we do house out of town actors within walking distance to the theater. Transportation to and from Sarasota will be provided. Actors are not provided a car at this time.
When do you rehearse?
We typically rehearse 28 hours per week for three weeks, and no less. Specific hours vary, depending on the artistic team. We can work around actor’s schedules in some situations, but conflicts during established rehearsal hours will not be accepted. Rehearsals are typically 4-5 hours, Tuesday-Sunday.
Do you hire Non-Equity actors?
Yes. We do not have a union affiliation, so we hire both Equity and Non-Equity actors.
How do I hear about auditions or video submission deadlines?
VIDEO SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
When submitting a video audition, please follow these guidelines carefully:
1. Film yourself standing, with your scene partner(s) off camera. If the scene calls for you to be sitting, make sure we can see more than just your face.
2. Load your video to YouTube or Vimeo, and send us the link. We will not accept emailed video files.
3. On YouTube, please make your video setting PUBLIC or UNLISTED. Do not make videos PRIVATE, as we need to share your audition with the director and artistic directors via email, and PRIVATE videos are not shareable links.
4. On Vimeo, please set your viewing settings to ANYONE or ONLY PEOPLE WITH A PASSWORD, and supply us your password.
5. Send your video link to i with your headshot and resume, and please let us know if you'll need local housing and transportation in Sarasota. Please write "Audition Video" in the subject field.